(6) The Rev. John Gerbrand Beck Lindsay succeeded Rev. Weagant in 1835. He was said to have been endowed with quiet, firm strength, great patience and forbearance. He was “oil” on the “troubled waters”. He and Rev. Hayunga even liked each other. A letter from Rev. Hayunga to Rev. Lindsay confirms that The Bishop and Rev. Lindsay graciously offered the Lutherans the use of the Church for worship but Rev. Hayunga politely declined saying “it is very inconvenient for them to avail themselves of the episcopal permission to make use of the Church.” Immediately thereafter, Lindsay undertook the dismantling of the now dilapidated church building and its rebuilding in a different style. Nearly all the timber of the first, being white oak, and sound, was used again in constructing the second. The arched window-frames of the old church were also incorporated into the new church. The second church, named Trinity Anglican Church, rose quite literally out of the ruin of its predecessor. It was a lovely, white, frame building. At the same time Rev. Lindsay, through his energy and devotion to duty, is credited with building a strong Anglican congregation. He moved on to Cornwall in 1844 and died there in 1845, aged 37, while diligently serving a group of recently arrived immigrants who were suffering “the fever”. Shortly after, his four sons were drowned while skating on thin ice on the St. Lawrence River.
The Rev. Dr. Edward Jukes Boswell succeeded Lindsay. In 1857, he was responsible for the establishment of the first St. James’ Anglican Church on the site of the present St. James’ Church, in the new village of Morrisburg. Trinity Church now had a daughter! In 1862, Trinity became part of the new Diocese of Ontario and part of the Parish of Morrisburg until 1866 when the name was changed to the Parish of Williamsburg. From 1874-1875 it included a congregation known as the German Mission. The present rectory was built in Morrisburg in 1874 and in 1878 a tower (the present one) was added to Old St. James’.
In 1878, during the incumbency of The Rev. Charles Forest, a correspondent for the Dominion Churchman (Nov. 21, 1878) reported that he had visited the Morrisburg area in 1874 and again in 1878 and had noticed a vast improvement in the interior of Trinity Church, Williamsburg, the second oldest Anglican Church in Ontario. “Once it was filled with great square pews, but these have all been swept away, and their place supplied by seats, free and open. The hideous side-galleries have been taken down, but the western one still remains. Although there is no structural chancel, a quasi-sanctuary has been made with good effect. The altar is of good dimensions; the sacred monogram “I.H.S.” is embroidered on the frontal. There is a proper re-table, on the front of which are the words “Holy, Holy, Holy”. A new pulpit, a handsome chandelier, and a stained glass window, testify to the liberality of certain parishioners. The congregation of Trinity Church is to be congratulated in the advance in reverence and decency visible in their “House of Prayer”. A large font placed near the western entrance, and a credence in the chancel are yet required. ”
A later Incumbent, The Rev. Clarendon Lamb Worrell (1884-1886) became the sixth Bishop of Nova Scotia and Primate of Canada. A re-alignment of parishes in 1887 left the Parish of Williamsburg consisting of Trinity Church, Riverside, St. George’s, Gallingertown and St. Paul’s, Aultsville. The parishes were re-configured in 1899 at which time Trinity, Riverside again became part of the Parish of Morrisburg.